This roasted vegetable & sausage medley is simple, versatile, and is a great side dish to share with family this holiday season!
The great thing about this recipe is you can mix/match any veggies you like! Other great ideas of vegetables for roasting: bell pepper, cauliflower, broccoli, sunchokes, jicama, zucchini, asparagus, butternut squash, rutabaga, Brussels sprouts, yams. We used fresh produce delivered through Farm Fresh Carolinas: carrots, onion, kale, fingerling potatoes, and sweet potatoes.
You can also mix/match any herbs you would like as well. In this video, we used thyme, rosemary, fennel, cinnamon, and sea salt. I used dried spices for a quick short-cut, but you can definitely use fresh ones. Sage and garlic would be great in there too!
The sausage we used in the video is a spicy andouille sausage that was sold in a pre-cooked package. Because of that, we added them to the sheet of roasted vegetables halfway through so they wouldn’t overcook. You can always use fresh sausage (cook longer), any other type of meat you would like, or omit the meat all together for a vegetarian/vegan option.
Tune in right below to watch our video, and leave a comment below when you make this dish to let us know which vegetables you used!
- ROASTING INGREDIENTS
- 4 andouille sausages
- 2-3 cups chopped (3/4" cubes) sweet potatoes
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 6 fingerling potatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed, chopped fine
- 1 large (or 2 smaller) apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon EACH dried: thyme, crushed rosemary, fennel, cinnamon
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- couple dashes of each spiced used on veggies
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chopped vegetables and stir to mix together. Drizzle coconut oil, and sprinkle on seasonings. Toss to coat again.
- Transfer the vegetables in an even layer onto the sheet pan, along with the uncooked sausage (if you have pre-cooked, hold off on adding them)
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While they're cooking, add all dressing ingredients to a mason jar, and shake. Set aside.
- Also while they're cooking, cook kale in a skillet over medium heat with a little coconut oil. Stir occasionally until wilted. Set aside.
- Remove the veggies from the oven, and toss. If you have room on your pan, add the cooked sausage if you're using that.
- Bake for another ~10 minutes until veggies are tender. Transfer the vegetables into a large mixing bowl, the kale, and the sausages (chop first). Then slowly add the dressing and mix to combine.
- You can definitely swap the vegetables out with any vegetables you'd like, for example: rutabaga, Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, broccoli, jicama, sunchokes, etc.
- You can also definitely swap the dried herbs with fresh herbs.