Every night after dinner, no matter how stuffed I am, I always crave something sweet. Usually that innocent bite of something sweet turns into a something bigger than I had planned. The saying “everything in moderation” doesn’t always work for me. That one little glimpse of sweetness turns into an even bigger craving after that first bite.
That’s why I try to incorporate more than just “empty calorie” sugary sweetness into my treats. Make them more substantial and filling, so I’ll be too full to have too much of them. These Date & Nut Butter Poppers are my new favorite go-to treat!
They’re simple, satisfying, and deliciously chewy. They taste almost like a peanut butter cup, even though there’s no chocolate in it. No idea how. They require no fancy cooking equipment, just a knife and a spoon.
They’re the perfect pre-workout snack too! Dates are one of the best sources of energy there is. The fiber in dates helps keep blood sugar levels from spiking. This means the sugars are released gradually into the body due to the type of fiber they contain (beta-D-glucan). So instead of getting a big burst of energy then crashing, you’ll skip the crash and get stabilized energy that lasts. The nut butter will give you healthy fats and proteins as well.
- 3 Medjool dates
- 2-3 tablespoons nut butter (I use Sunbutter, almond butter is another great choice)
- Few dashes sea salt
- Optional: Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Slice open Medjool dates with a knife (if there is a pit inside, pop it out with your knife).
- Using a spoon, scoop ½ - 1 tablespoon of nut butter inside, and dash a little sea salt on top.
- Optional: Roll in shredded unsweetened coconut
- They’re delicious immediately, but if you have the self-control, they’re even better chilled in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 hours until the nut butter is firm.