What’s better than chocolate ice cream? Chocolate ice cream with CARAMEL SAUCE!!
I absolutely love caramel but most sauces at the store have some ingredients that don’t make me feel so great (like dairy) or that I’d rather not put in my body if I have another alternative (like high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, preservatives, caramel color, and artificial colors).
But the caramel sauce from Sweet Apricity is made of just organic honey, coconut cream (coconut, water), organic coconut palm sugar, organic coconut oil, and sea salt and tastes fabulousss!
The company was sweet enough to send me some to try, along with their sea salted caramel chews and vanilla marshmallows (ALL of which were super delicious by the way – I made the BEST s’mores with the marshmallows and used the caramel chews as the perfect sweet treat satisfier after dinner).
Sweet Apricity prides themselves on creating sweet AIP, Paleo, dairy-free, gluten-free caramels and marshmallows. They make em with real, whole food ingredients by hand in Portland, Oregon. They were even recently named “best new snack brand” by Paleo Magazine!
When I got their package in the mail, I just knew I had to come up with a delish ice cream recipe to use with the caramel sauce. And that’s how this recipe came to life 🙂 It is also Paleo, dairy-free, and gluten free. Let me know how you like it!
- 2 bananas (ideally turning brown), sliced, frozen
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seed butter (or your favorite nutbutter)
- 2 1/2 tablepsoons cacao powder
- pinch sea salt
- 2-5 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 serving collagen peptides powder (optional for protein/nutrient boost)
- Add frozen bananas to a large food processor, along with the nutbutter, cacao powder, collagen peptides, sea salt and 2 tablespoons milk (start with that and add 1 tablespoon slowly at a time if needed).
- Process the ice cream, stopping to scrape down the sides with a spatula periodically until it turns into a creamy, soft-serve consistency.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a container and freeze 30 minutes, then scoop with an ice cream scoop.
- Top with your favorite toppings like Sweet Apricity's caramel sauce!